Are you thinking of becoming a first-time home owner? One thing on your to-do list is to find a real estate lawyer. Here’s a quick summary of what we do and why you need us.
When you’re buying a home or selling a home for the first time, there’s a lot to take in. You may find yourself wondering what all the paperwork you’re completing is for and what all the people you’re paying actually do for you. One such question might regard what a real estate lawyer does. Here’s the truth: if you’re engaging in any kind of real estate transaction, you will almost certainly need a real estate lawyer during the process.
What does a real estate lawyer do?
At their core, a real estate lawyer’s job is to make sure the transaction is legal. They review all of your documents, from the deed transfer to the banking terms to ensure everything is on the up and up. Think of us as a moderator whose job it is to protect you, the other party in the real estate transaction, and the banks. Here are just a few of the things we do on behalf of home buyers and home sellers:
- Review all legal documents
- Ensure you have a valid title or help you prepare the title to sell
- Ensure there are no liens or other claims on your property
- Draw up mortgage documents for closing
- Review and help you understand terms and conditions of sale
What to look for in a real estate lawyer
What should you look for in a good real estate lawyer? The most important thing you should check is that they are a licensed lawyer who works in your area and understands local real estate law. Once you’re sure that they are legally practising in your area, some other things to look for include:
- Do you feel comfortable talking with them? Can they explain terms and conditions in a way you understand?
- Are their fees on par with other real estate lawyers in the area? Are their fees transparent and do you understand them?
- Do they have experience working with the specific type of real estate you’re buying or selling? Can they demonstrate success in their field?
Are you planning to buy a home and need a real estate lawyer? Contact SatLaw for a stress-free closing.